Sunday, April 22, 2018



Tandy Cornelius Howeth was born 2 July 1819 in Chattanooga, Tennessee to Thomas
H. Howeth [1797 to 1855] and Nancy Ann James [ 1799 – 1868].

14 February 1838, at age 18, he married Sarah G. Tidwell [1825 – 1888] at DeKalb,
Alabama, she being 13 years old according records.

Tandy and Sarah had eight children according to ancestry records; they being;
Lucinda 1842- 1866, born Rusk, Texas; Ashberry Lincoln 1844 – 1870, born Rusk,
Texas; Thomas Wesley 1845 – 1910, born Rusk, Texas;
Nancy 1848 -1876, born, Rusk, Texas; Tandy James 1852 – 1923, born Athens,
Henderson, Texas; Jefferson 1856 - 1927, born Athens, Texas; John Mark, 1859 – 1936,
born Athens Texas; , Texana 1861 – 1925. born Athens, Texas.

Tandy's father Thomas died at age 58, on 11 May 1855 in Gainesville, Cooke county, Texas
and mother Nancy died, age 69, in Henderson,, Rusk county, Texas , 20 May 1868.

Captain Tandy Cornelius Howeth had several half siblings, they being, Fletcher Carlton,
Howeth, born 12 July 1820, Chattanooga, died 13 May , in Henderson, Texas, James
Howeth, 1812 -1833, died in Grainger
Tennessee, Franklin Andrew Howeth, 1841 – 1887, born Henderson Texas, Katherine
Howeth, 1800 – 1841, died Grainger Tennessee, Andrew Howeth, 1791 – 1850, Martha,
Howeth, 1796 -1850.

Siblings are; Harvey 1821 – 1898, born Chattanooga,, James Nelson, 1823 -1900, born
Chattanoogs, Elizabeth 1825 – 1890, born Chattanooga, Martha, 1827- 1865, born
Chattanooga, Sarah Ann, 1828 -1880, born Chattanooga, Mary Jane, 1828 – 1913, born
Hamilton, Grainger county, Tennessee, Louise born 1829 in Texas, Thomas 1829 – 1894,
born Chattanooga, Jefferson Robert, 1831 – 1890, born Chattanooga, Martha, born 1832,
Cornelius 1833 – 1868, born DeKalb, Alabama, Louis George, 1837 – 1904, born DeKalb,
Katherine, 1837 -1888, Byron 1838 - 1855, born DeKalb 17 December 1838.

The year 1860 , at age 37, Tandy was a farmer in Athens, Texas. In 1865 he was Captain of
Company G., of the 3rd Texas Regiment, Confederate Army.

Captain Tandy Cornelius Howeth, died at age 53, in Athens, Henderson county, Texas and is
buried in Athens Cemetery, Athens, Texas.

Tandy's grandfather, Sewell Howeth born Dorchester county, Maryland is my third great

Harrison Hopkins Howeth, Jr. aka Harry. Born May 6 1930 Dorchester , Maryland,
now a resident of Lewes, Sussex county, Delaware since 1935. 04/22/18

Tuesday, April 10, 2018



Current sailing is an art to determine course and speed, allowing effect of a predicted or
estimated current to make sure that an intended track and an actual track are the same.

There are three types of currents of interest to the navigator.:
Ocean current; a well defined current over a size able ocean area.

Tidal current: one due to tidal action, as in harbors, estuaries and coastal .

Wind current: affects an area where wind is strong for twelve hours or more,
current does not flow in wind direction.

Estimated Current determined by check of known forces that make current effects.

Actual Current: determined when actual position is available.

Set of a current is the direction it flows.

Drift of a current is the velocity .

Sunday, April 8, 2018



Dead reckoning, (deduced reckoning) , is one of four main divisions of navigation and

is a process by which a ships location or position is deduced, usually trigonometrical, in

relation to a point of departure.
( deduce: to infer or decide by reasoning)

Dead reckoning is basic to all phases of navigation.

Dead reckoning determines a ships approximate position by applying to its last determined

position a series of constructive vectors (compass headings) , using the true course steered

and the distance moved determined by the engine speed ordered. Current is not considered.

Key elements of dead reckoning are; use only the true course steered, multiplying the

ordered engine speed by the 'time' it has acted, and plotted from a 'fixed' position.

Friday, April 6, 2018



The July 22, 1917 issue of the Washington Post of Washington, D .C. reports that a sixteen
year old lad of a family here saves two girls from the Rehoboth Beach surf.

News of the event reports that Seaton Maynader who was standing on the shore heard the

cries of Miss Mary Hooper and Miss Alice Poole who were being carried away into the

ocean. The lad grabbed a nearby lifebuoy and rushed into the breakers and saved the two

from drowning.

Seaton was born March 31, 1901 in Washington, D. C. to Gustavus Brown Maynader, a

clerk in a government department,   and his wife the former Eliza Seaton Lila Maitland,

both Gustavus and Lila born in France. They were married in 1890 when they were 25 years

of age.

In 1910 the Maynader's were residents on Maryland Avenue in Hyattsville, Prince Georges

County, Maryland. The family had a older daughter, Lila, born in D. C. 1894.

Abstract: 04/05/18 by Harrison Howeth for & facebook's page

“Memories of Growing up in Rehoboth “



This is a love story from a small ranching community out west where there lived a man
and his wife and four children. Not much different that their neighbors, they raised cows, built
fences and did the best they could to keep the little town alive.

The children went to the local school where there were less than a hundred students.

The remoteness of their location gave them strong interdependence among themselves, the
ranchers and townies.

The man and his wife lived in the old family home on the ranch which they had plans to
remodel some day but the whimsical cattle business , routine ranch improvements and the
kids appetite prevented such.

When the youngest son started high school he dared to dream, dream the his wife could quit
her town job and they could spend more time together. For the last 20 years they never tired
for each others company.

Then, the assassin, cancer, drew down and shot out the light of his life.

His grief was deep, the neighbors did what neighbors are supposed to do, they put their arms
around the proud man and his family. They were there, looking after the kids, and him as
grief and loneliness ground away at his broken heart.

The fall his youngest was a high school senior he sold the cow herd since the market was
good and the interest on the ranch needed a payment.

One day Baxter Black got a phone call from this man asking him to speak at his sons
graduation. Forget the name of the town but there were six in the graduating class.

All of the arrangements were made, the afternoon before the graduation ceremony he has a
a big barbecue , four hundred showed up, and to them he expressed his appreciation to his
friends and neighbors. He never mentioned his loss and heartbreak, everyone already knew.

After the day was over, a few friends, his four kids, him and me, Baxter Black    gathered in
the living room. It was comfortable. Never was it asked about his plans now that the last one was out of school, but one could hear the pages of his life turning.

The hand lettered sign hanging on the gate post out front said it all.


Source: The Delmarva Farmer, 3 April, 2018, “On the Edge of Common Sense” Baxter Black

Wednesday, April 4, 2018




Fred Sposato, age 48, vice president at Draper King Cole, has died of a heart attack while
at home playing with his new son, Tony. A life long Delaware resident he was born in
Wilmington's Broom Street section on the 4th of November, 1923 to Fortunato Fred
Sposato, a Wilmington fruit vendor and Nicoletta Gettir di Luzio Sposato.

His father was born in Italy and came to Wilmington in the mid 1800's. His mother died
soon after his birth. During WWII Fred served overseas in the 82 airborne Division.

A natural born football player, he was a star player for Wilmington High, where he was the
captain of their\r team and then the University of Delaware both before and after his Army
service. In 1946 he was a strong backfield player for the undefeated U of D team. There

he was a member of Theta Chi fratenity.

Sposato was a teacher at George Grey Elementry and Newark High School as well as the
football coach.

Active in civil affairs he was a member of Broadkiln Post 6984, Milton Lions Club where
he was active in the start of the high school 'All Star Blue & Gold Games'. In business
he was a director of the National Canners Association, past president of Milton PTA and
member of the board of directors at Shawnee Country Club.

Survivors are his wife, former Jeanne Louise Marvel, daughter of Mr & Mrs John R. Marvel
of Milton, who he married after his return from Army service with a paratrooper unit.

Jeanne Louise is a Milton High School graduate and West Chester State Teachers College .
He also leaves two sons, Fred and Tony at home, two daughters, Jo Carol of California and
Judy at home, three brothers, Sam, Tony and Francis, three sister Mrs Vincent Calverese,
Mrs Mary Buiano, Mrs Charles diJorio.

Fred Sposato is buried in Henlopen Memorial Gardens, on the Broadkill River, east of

Source: Wilmington News Journal, Monday, March 22 1971
Harrison H abstract April 4, 2018.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018


APRIL 3, 1860

On this day, April 3, 1860. one hundred and fifty eight years ago, 3, April 2018, the first
Pony Express mail leaves westbound from St. Joseph, Missouri and east bound from
Sacramento, California.

Ten days later the westbound mail reaches Sacramento and the eastbound mail was two days
later reaching St. Joseph setting a speedy mail delivery.

The speedy delivery was short lived and unprofitable but arose Americas interest in a
federal overland postal system. Also it was an economic boost to the towns and villages
along the route.

California, which became a state in 1850 was cut off from the east part of the new nation.
A letter from New York to the west coast took more than a month traveling by ships at sea.
A recent Butterfield Overland Express could take a letter three weeks to several months
depending on delivery methods and price which was $5 per a half an ounce at the least.

Three owners of an existing freight business , William Russell. William Bradford Waddell
and Alex Majors set up the Pony Express. It consist of 150 relay stations, 10 to 15 miles
apart , on a pioneer trail from Missouri to California. Each rider changed every 100 miles.
The Pony Express was a private enterprise, the owners hoped to get a contract from the
government but that did not happen because a year later in 1861 the transcontinental
telegraph put into service and Pony Express ceased operation.

Abastract to & facebook: by Harrison Howeth 04/03/18