DELAWARE RIVER & BAY
MARITIME SHIP EXCHANGE
55th Anniversary in 1930
The Philadelphia Maritime Ship Exchange enters it's 55th year of operation with the re-election
of S. W. Holten as president.
Organized in 1878 to furnish shipping intelligence and when incorporated in 1882 was one of
two such organizations in the United States. It established a chain of reporting stations of vessels on
the Delaware River & Bay which are located at Breakwater, Lewes, Reedy Island, New Castle and
Marcus Hook. The report includes the vessel name and time of arrival and is made public to the more
than one hundred members who are shipping managers, businessmen, insurance lawyers, etc.
On the way out the vessel name and country, its cargo and destination is reported and recorded.
James Kernan, the secretary since 1917 is the executive in charge of the exchange activities.
May 8, 1930 Wilmington Evening Journal , Wilmington, Delaware