Wednesday, October 4, 2017

TANK THE DOG

GREAT DOG STORY

WELL WORTH READING


A dog story of a black lab that was adopted by a young single man, six months new in town.

“They told me his name was “Reggie” as I was looking at him lying in his pen at the shelter
which was clean and the people really friendly. The town was a small college town, very friendly
too. People waved when you went by on the street.

But there was something missing, so I thought of a dog, someone to talk to. He had been advertised
on local TV and the shelter had received many call, but, said the staff, they just did not look like
Lab people, whatever that meant. I guess they thought I did. So I took him home, with his 'things',
a dog pad, bag of toys, which was loaded with brand new yellow tennis balls, dishes and a sealed
letter from his previous owner. Reggie and I did not hit it off the first two weeks, his 'things' and
the letter got tossed in with my other unpacked boxes, that is except the bag of yellow tennis balls.
Reggie wound not go anywhere unless he had two yellow tennis balls in his mouth. I intended to supply him with new toys once settled in, which did not look like was going to happen.
Riggie knew all of the commands, sit, stay, come, heel and follow them, grudgingly, after they were
repeated three or four times. I probably was too stern to him and he resented it. I think he 'hid; my cell phone. The day came I was supposed to return him to the shelter, but, I had found his 'things' and tossed the pad to him, he responded with a wagging tail, but that was it, he did not come to me when I
offered him a sweet treat, but lay down, back to, discontented. That was when I picked up the sealed 'letter' that I had totally forgotten too. So I read it out loud for both of us, and told Reggie to lets see
what your former owner has to say, if he has any advice.

THE LETTER
To whoever gets my dog is goes; I am not happy your reading this letter that the shelter
staff was told to be opened only by Reggies new owner. Taking the Lab to the shelter was my last ride with him , and he knew something a different than our other rides. So let me tell you about my Lab with hopes you and he can 'bond'.

First he loves yellow tennis balls, more the merrier, he hordes them , and usually has two in his
mouth , and tried to get a third one in too. This he has not yet done. He knows the obvious ones,
and, a few other hand signals. I trained 'Reggie' with small bits of hot dogs. Nothing opens his ears like hot dogs. His feeding schedule is 7 am and 6 in the evening. Regular store bought stuff. He has
his shots from the 9th Street Clinic. He hates the vet.

Give him time, I was not married, it was just him and me. Everywhere I went, he went. Loved the
back seat of the car. Just sat there, looking, did nor bark. So please take his for a ride now and then.

A BIT MORE

His name is not Reggie. I do not know why but when I left him at the shelter, I told them his name wa Reggie. Why I do not know. I could not bear to give them his real name. I know he is smart and will
get used to it and respond. Leaving him was too final.

TANK

Tank is his name real name. Tank, because that is what I drive for the Army. The shelter
people were instructed to keep Reggie until they heard from me or my company commander, my parents are gone, I have no one to leave him with. My only request of the Army was to let the shelter
knowm in case of 'the event' as I was deployed to Iraq. By luck and the grace of God, my colonel
is a 'dog' man too and has told me he would do it personally. If you are reading this, he made good
his word. Tank was my family for six years, the same time I was U. S. Army.

Good luck with Tank, give him a good home, and if you dont mind, an extra kiss good night.
Thank you, signed Paul Mallory.

Everyone in town had heard of Paul Mallory. Local kid, killed in action, in Iraq, the owner
of a Silver Star, earned when he gave his life to save three fellow soldiers. I folded the letter, put it back in the envelope, and leaned forward, elbows on the knees, looked at the Lab and whispered
“Hey Tank”. The Labs head whipped up, eyes bright, ears cocked. “C'mere boy” and he was on his feet. In front of me, looking for the name he had not heard in months. 'Tank” I whispered and his tail swished. I kept whispering his name, over and over, and each time his ears lowered, eyes softened and his posture relaxed as a wave of contentment just seemed to flood him. I hugged him and said
“ Its me and you now Tank, your old pal gave you to me” Tank licked my cheeks.
“So whatsay we play some ball” Tank tore away into the next room, and came back to me, with
three yellow tennis balls in his mouth.


Source: Zimbra, www.com August 16, 2009: Abstract, October 5, 2017. Harrison H.

No comments:

Post a Comment